Research and Teaching Interests
The Hein lab is dedicated to the development of automated reaction analysis technology in the realm of mechanistic organic chemistry. Our work combines advanced robotics with synthetic organic chemistry, paving the way for new and innovative solutions.
Our current focus includes understanding catalytic reaction mechanisms, establishing reliable chemical processes for manufacturing, and creating coupled preferential crystallization technologies for efficient chemical purification.
Central to our research is a set of prototype modular robotic tools and integrated analytical hardware, forming the first broadly applicable automated reaction profiling toolkit. Join us in our efforts to contribute to the advancement of organic chemistry and work towards a more effective and sustainable future.
Deem, M. C. et al. Best Practices for the Collection of Robust Time Course Reaction Profiles for Kinetic Studies. Acs Catal 1418–1430 (2023) doi:10.1021/acscatal.2c05045.
Kukor, A. J. et al. Enantioselective synthesis of (−)-tetrabenazine via continuous crystallization-induced diastereomer transformation. Chem Sci 13, 10765–10772 (2022).
Liu, J., Sato, Y., Yang, F., Kukor, A. J. & Hein, J. E. An Adaptive Auto‐Synthesizer using Online PAT Feedback to Flexibly Perform a Multistep Reaction. Chem Methods 2, (2022).
Deem, M. C. et al. Ring walking as a regioselectivity control element in Pd-catalyzed C-N cross-coupling. Nat Commun13, 2869 (2022).
Christensen, M. et al. Data-science driven autonomous process optimization. Commun Chem 4, 112 (2021).
Sato, Y. et al. Real-Time Monitoring of Solid–Liquid Slurries: Optimized Synthesis of Tetrabenazine. J Org Chem 86, 14069–14078 (2021).
- Associate Professor, University of British Columbia (2019 – present)
- Assistant Professor, University of British Columbia (2015 – 2019)
- Assistant Professor, University of California, Merced (2011 – 2015)
- Senior Research Associate under Prof. Donna Blackmond, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla (2009 – 2011)
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow under Profs. K. Barry Sharpless and Valery V. Fokin, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla (2005 – 2009)
- Ph.D. Student under Prof. Philip G. Hultin, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg (2000 – 2005)
- B.Sc. Student, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg (1996 – 2000)