Undergraduate TA Positions

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant

Each year the Department of Chemistry hires a limited number of Undergraduate Teaching Assistants (UTAs) to support its undergraduate courses. If you are interested in being considered for a UTA position for 2022W2, please fill the application form using the link below. Note that you MUST be registered in a full-time program taking at least three courses during the term of the appointment to be considered for a position. Please do not apply if you don't fit this criterion.

Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis until our teaching needs are met.


Types of Duties

UTA duties may include but are not limited to:  

  • Preparing for and assisting in the running of labs.
  • Grading in class/lab coursework.
  • Assisting with in-class activities during lectures.
  • Preparing answer keys/marking schemes, in class questions.
  • Holding office hours, answering student emails and responding to discussion boards.
  • Managing course website and assisting with miscellaneous duties as needed.


Training Courses

All UTAs must complete the mandatory safety and UBC training during the first week of their appointments.

Mandatory Training Courses
Recommended Training Courses




UTA assignments begin on the first day of term and continue through the exam period, as required by the course instructor. Please note that UTAs are expected to be available for the full duration of their appointment. Work hours expectations are outlined in the CUPE 2278 Collective Agreement.  UTAs must be available to attend lectures and lab sessions, and fulfill other duties as required by the teaching supervisor.


UTA wages are negotiated by the CUPE 2278 Collective Agreement. For exact salaries, please reference the current collective agreement.


Overtime is not allowed as per the CUPE 2278 Collective Agreement.

Vacation Pay

Vacation pay is negotiated by the CUPE 2278 Collective Agreement.


Any planned absences taken during the appointment term must be communicated to the TA Coordinator prior to the term start.

International Students

International Students must be eligible to work in Canada. If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact an Advisor at International Student Advising.



Instructional Resource Guide

The Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) offers instructional resources and teaching development programs for new and experienced UTAs. Click here for more information.

Linking your CWL with your Employee ID

In order to be able to access a number of services (Canvas Courses, Workday) as a staff member, you will need to link your Employee ID to your CWL account. Click here for more information of how to do this.