Old Links

Contact and Advising

Contact and Advising


What research opportunities are available?

Co-op, volunteer, NSERC USRA, CHEM 448 (the latter is a directed studies course which can be done at any time of the year, including summer in third or fourth year), CHEM 445 (4th year laboratory), CHEM 449 (Honours thesis, but not just for Honours students), and other programs that will be advertised. Look for posters and emails, check the Chemistry Department website, and talk to your TAs and professors. For more information, see Research Opportunities.

How do I get into Honours Chemistry?

You apply directly to the various Combined Honours specializations through the FoS process. Students are not admitted directly into Honours Chemistry since it contains the same courses as the Majors specialization. If your average is high enough, the Chemistry Department Undergraduate Advisor will contact you over the summer regarding the possibility of moving from Majors to Honours. You need a minimum 68% average, no failures, and 30 winter session credits. Students with less than the 30 winter session credit requirements may be considered for Honours if by the end of the second year they have completed 60 winter session credits.

What is the difference between taking the Majors and Honours specializations?

Honours has 12 additional credits and a few additional course requirements over the last three years of the degree. The Honours specialization can give you an advantage in applications for graduate schools, professional schools (medicine, nursing, dentisty, law) and jobs.

Am I able to defer my Physics and Communication requirement?

You can defer the Physics and Communications requirement (ENGL 1**) although it is useful if they have been completed.

What's the difference between CHEM 233-235 and CHEM 203/213-245?

CHEM 233-235 is the track for Life Sciences majors (Organic Chemistry for Biological Sciences). CHEM 203/213-245 (formerly CHEM 203/204) are the courses needed for Chemistry and Biochemistry specializations. The course content of CHEM 203/213-245 is both more comprehensive and detailed, and is presented at a higher level than in CHEM 233-235.

I heard of someone who took CHEM 233 and then wanted to switch to Chemistry, but had to retake second-year organic chemistry (CHEM 203/204). Is this true?

This is no longer true. As of the 2011/2012 academic year, CHEM 204 is being seperated into a lecture course (CHEM 213) and a laboratory course (CHEM 245). The Chemistry Department is streamlining the two tracks to make it possible for students who obtain a mark of 76% or higher in CHEM 233 to move into CHEM 213 directly without having to take CHEM 203. Students admitted to Chemistry will be allowed to take CHEM 245 as well.

Answers to more common questions: FAQ - Choosing Chemistry


General Inquiries

Please review our current Registration FAQ. If your question remains unanswered, please email us and remember to include your legal name and student number.

Course Prerequisites

Chemistry courses have hard prerequisite checks; students are blocked from registering into our courses if they don’t satisfy the course requirements.

If you satisfy the prerequisite(s) for our courses through transfer credit (required courses completed at other post-secondary institutions), please register on the waitlist.  We will review your request and manually add the courses to your registration record (if and only if there is space is available in the course). In some cases, a copy of your unofficial transcript will be required.

Lab Exemptions

In order to achieve a passing grade in Chemistry courses, students must pass both the lecture and laboratory (if applicable) components of a course.

Students that need to repeat a course, and failed the lecture but passed the lab, will receive an exemption from repeating the lab.  The department will register students who are eligible into laboratory section XMT.