The Department of Chemistry of the University of British Columbia is seeking to fill a position at the Lecturer level starting May 1, 2018.
Individuals with an academic background in synthetic organic chemistry either directly or within broader areas such as materials science, biological chemistry or catalysis are appropriate. The position requires a demonstrated commitment to excellence in undergraduate instruction, especially within a laboratory setting. Strong assets are an ability to work independently, effective communications skills, a demonstrated ability to supervise the work of others, and proven potential for creating innovative instructional environments in both the undergraduate classroom and the laboratory. Responsibilities of this position include a combination of undergraduate organic laboratory supervision and classroom instruction. Individuals with a Ph. D. in Chemistry are strongly preferred. For further information regarding Lecturer positions at UBC please refer to: http://www.hr.ubc.ca/faculty-relations/recruitment/titles-ranks-descriptions/job-descriptions/#3
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person. Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. Please indicate your legal status to work in Canada.
Applicants should send a curriculum vita, and statements of teaching and laboratory development philosophies. Evidence of teaching effectiveness would be an asset. Applicants should also arrange to have three reference letters sent directly to:
Chair, Lecturer Search Committee
The deadline for receipt of applications and reference letters is: December 20, 2017
The advertised position is for a Research Associate to undertake research on a multidisciplinary approach to clean energy as directed by the supervisor. The position is within the Department of Chemistry at the Point Grey Campus of the University of British Columbia. This is a non-tenure track position.
The principal duties of the role are as follows:
- Undertake independent, practical laboratory-based research;
- Significant contribution to academic management of a multidisciplinary research team;
- Regular interaction with external collaborators;
- Preparation of regular reports for internal discussion and external publication;
- Supervision and mentoring of students and colleagues;
- Formulation of grant reports and proposals;
- Contribution to administrative responsibilities;
- Responsibility for sourcing and purchasing of necessary equipment and supplies;
- Design and construction of unique experimental apparatus;
- Establish and maintain relationships with external suppliers and manufacturers;
The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- A PhD in Synthetic Inorganic/Organometallic Chemistry with significant postdoctoral experience (5+ years);
- Demonstrated experience in the practical manipulation of various chemical reactions in benchtop and
- air-/moisture-sensitive environments;
- Experience in the acquisition and analysis of modern spectroscopic, spectrometric, crystallographic and
- computational data;
- Experience in the practical manipulation and upkeep of both mechanical and electronic laboratory apparatus;
- Proven ability to undertake independent and directed research and prepare high-quality reports and publications;
- Effective communication of science verbally, visually and in written form to scientific audiences;
- Experience in mentoring researchers in relevant chemistry and general scientific research skills;
- Experience in the preparation of successful grant proposals;
The anticipated start date for this position is April 19, 2018
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
How to Apply
Please email your CV to email@example.com with “Clean Energy Research Associate 2018” in the subject line.
All applications must be received no later than midnight on Sunday, December 31, 2017.