The advertised position is for a Research Associate to undertake research on a multidisciplinary approach to clean energy as directed by the supervisor. The position is within the Department of Chemistry at the Point Grey Campus of the University of British Columbia. This is a non-tenure track position.
The principal duties of the role are as follows:
- Undertake independent, practical laboratory-based research;
- Significant contribution to academic management of a multidisciplinary research team;
- Regular interaction with external collaborators;
- Preparation of regular reports for internal discussion and external publication;
- Supervision and mentoring of students and colleagues;
- Formulation of grant reports and proposals;
- Contribution to administrative responsibilities;
- Responsibility for sourcing and purchasing of necessary equipment and supplies;
- Design and construction of unique experimental apparatus;
- Establish and maintain relationships with external suppliers and manufacturers;
The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- A PhD in Synthetic Inorganic/Organometallic Chemistry with significant postdoctoral experience (5+ years);
- Demonstrated experience in the practical manipulation of various chemical reactions in benchtop and
- air-/moisture-sensitive environments;
- Experience in the acquisition and analysis of modern spectroscopic, spectrometric, crystallographic and
- computational data;
- Experience in the practical manipulation and upkeep of both mechanical and electronic laboratory apparatus;
- Proven ability to undertake independent and directed research and prepare high-quality reports and publications;
- Effective communication of science verbally, visually and in written form to scientific audiences;
- Experience in mentoring researchers in relevant chemistry and general scientific research skills;
- Experience in the preparation of successful grant proposals;
The anticipated start date for this position is April 19, 2018
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
How to Apply
Please email your CV to email@example.com with “Clean Energy Research Associate 2018” in the subject line.
All applications must be received no later than midnight on Sunday, December 31, 2017.