Dr. Evgeny Shapiro, Chemistry D323, , 604-822-8374
- J. Michael Hollas, Modern Spectroscopy (optional text).
- D.J. Griffiths, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (optional text).
- P. W. Atkins, Molecular Quantum Mechanics (optional text).
- R.W. Boyd, Nonlinear Optics (advanced reference).
- M.V. Fedorov, Atomic and Free Electrons in a Stronf Light Field (advanced reference).
- Homework Assignments: 40% (about 1 assignment every week).
- In-class presentations: 10% (each student will make two 15-minute blackboard presentations during the course).
- One Midterm Exam: 20% (take-home, covering the first half of the course material)
- One Final Exam: 30% (take-home, covering the entire course material)
Tuesdays and Thursdays 11am-12.30 pm. The first class is on Tuesday, January 7th 2014.
Dr. Evgeny Shapiro
Chemistry Building D323
Office Phone: 604-822-8374
Office Hours: Anytime, but please e-mail me first.
- Propagation of light, absorption and refraction, laser pulses. Systems of units.
- Quantum mechanics of interaction of light with matter.
Single-photon and Raman transitions, ionization, spontaneous emission, line width.
- Basics of atomic and molecular spectroscopy.
- Atomic spectroscopy;
- Born-Oppenheimer approximation;
- Rotational molecular spectroscopy;
- Vibrational spectroscopy of diatomic and polyatomic molecules,
- Electronic spectroscopy.
- Modern spectroscopic methods.
- Femtosecond spectroscopy.
- Nonlinear spectroscopy and microscopy.